Each November, we celebrate, honor and bring awareness to adoption. And this November 9 is World Adoption Day! Here’s what that means for you:
What is World Adoption Day?
Hank Fortener, the founder of the adoption crowdfunding platform AdoptTogether, began World Adoption Day in 2014. He wanted to use one day every November as a time to bring people together in support of a mission: “A world with no more orphans, a family for every child.”
How Can You Raise Awareness?
The main tactic is simple and uses virality to draw attention to adoption. On November 9, draw a smiley face on your hand and take a photo. Post your photo to social media with the hashtag #WorldAdoptionDay.
Other ways to get involved for World Adoption Day 2019:
- Become an Ambassador.
- Attend AdoptTogether’s Baby Ball fundraising gala.
- Donate to AdoptTogether, where you can choose to donate to a waiting adoptive family and help them fund their adoption process.
- Follow World Adoption Day’s social media accounts and share their posts, especially on November 9:
How Else Can You Celebrate?
For anyone who has been touched by adoption, but especially international adoption, November 9 is a great opportunity to honor and share your stories. Other ways you can choose to mark the day include:
- Sharing your personal connection to adoption along with your smiley face photo, and talking about what World Adoption Day means to you and your family.
- Celebrating the birth culture of international adoptees today by making a meal from their country of origin, attending a cultural festival, reading a book together about their birth country, etc.
- Honoring the memory of birth family members by lighting a candle, saying a special prayer together, or by writing them a letter or drawing them a picture.
- Retelling the story of how your family came together, asking questions and sharing memories.
How do you plan on spreading awareness about World Adoption Day this year? Let us know!