National Adoption Month is a great time to bring employer-provided adoption benefits to your workplace!
It’s estimated that about 50 percent of companies across the country offer adoption benefits. But according to Adam Pertman’s book Adoption Nation, only about 0.1 percent of employees use adoption benefits when they are made available. So it’s a low-cost, good-will investment for employers.
Employer-provided adoption benefits can be broken into three big categories, which mirror the same sort of benefits offered to couples looking to have children biologically or through the help of Assisted Reproduction Technology Services (ARTS). These categories are:
- Information Resources – like referrals to adoption professionals
- Financial Assistance – like a lump sum to use or reimbursement for certain expenses
- Parental Leave – like a typical maternity or paternity leave
You can read more about the sorts of things included in employer-provided adoption benefits on our website.
Learn which companies were ranked the “most adoption-friendly” in 2012 by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption.
Where can I learn more about adoption benefits provided by companies?
- Follow this link to see DTFA’s detailed lists, organized by size and industry, of the nation’s top 100 leaders in company adoption benefits.
- Find a comprehensive list of companies who have submitted their adoption benefits to DTFA surveys.
- Submit your workplace in the DTFA’s Adoption-Friend Workplace Benefits Survey for 2013.
- Order Adoption-Friendly Workplace tool kits for yourself, your employer and your peers.