Carly's Adoption Story

My story started in April of 2008. On April 18, 2008 I was date raped at a party. I was not drinking or doing anything illegal but I was still a victim. I went home and didn’t know what to do. I decided to go on with my life. Well two weeks later I realized that my period was late. I decided it was stress and let it go. I moved back to my parents’ house from Phoenix where I was playing college softball. I finally told my mom what happened. I went and bought a test and found out I was pregnant. The next few months were a blur. I found a doctor that my mom recommended and I went to an adoption lawyer who connected me with American Adoptions. The lawyer gave me some profiles of adoptive families. I was reading through them when all of the sudden I couldn’t get one of the couples out of my head. They seemed like the perfect parents for my son.

 I was set up to work with Lizzie as my adoption specialist from American Adoptions. She was all I could ever have asked for and more. She cried with me and laughed with me. Talking with the adoptive couple, Jason and Teresa, was all I ever hoped it would be. When I was 7 months pregnant they decided to fly my mom and I out to meet them and their family. Meeting their family and feeling the love they had for me and my son was breathtaking. I got to see where my little man was going to grow up. That reaffirmed in my mind that they were the best parents for my son. We returned home after a long weekend with promises of talks at least once a week. About three weeks after I met Jason and Teresa I went in for a routine doctor’s appointment. My blood pressure was high and they sent me to the hospital. I was admitted and a few days later I was told I had preeclampsia, a life threatening condition if not treated properly. I was put on best rest in the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy. Three weeks later my blood pressure was still too high so the doctor’s decided to have me deliver via cesarean section that afternoon. I called Jason and Teresa and told them that their son was on the way. I had my son who weighed 6lbs 3 ounces at 2:05 that afternoon. Jason and Teresa arrived at 8pm. I had the great pleasure of being the first person to hand Teresa her son and say “here is your baby”. Watching Jason and Teresa fall in love while holding him was such a great sight. We were in the hospital for four days. I signed the legal papers for adoption after two days. It was the most heart-wrenching thing I have ever had to do. My son is now almost 6 months old and I have received pictures and letter often. Thank you all for reading my story.

©2018 American Adoptions - All Rights Reserved    
Call 1-800-ADOPTION