close menu

Putting a Child Up for Adoption Without U.S. Citizenship [Is It Possible?]

You can consider putting a child up for adoption without U.S. citizenship, and we can help. Call 1-800-ADOPTION now to learn more.

Here at American Adoptions, we are committed to helping every woman thinking about adoption because prospective birth mothers come from all kinds of backgrounds when they are considering adoption for their unborn children. This includes those who are considering putting a child up for adoption without U.S. citizenship.

If you are an undocumented expectant mother, know that you have just as much right to place your child for adoption in the United States as any other mother. As long as your child is born within the United States, they can be placed with a loving, supportive adoptive family, regardless of your own citizenship status.

So, yes, you can give a child up for adoption even if you are an immigrant — and the trained specialists at American Adoptions are here to help you every step of the way.

To get more information about the process or to get started today, please call us at 1-800-ADOPTION. We are here for you 24/7.

We can provide a translator to assist you through your adoption process, if necessary. American adopciones ofrece servicios de traducción si los necesitas. Llame 1-800-ADOPTION ahora para hablar con un especialista en adopción en inglés o solicitar un traductor de español a inglés.

Your Citizenship Status Does Not Matter

About 11 million unauthorized immigrants currently live in the United States. Just like any U.S. citizen, an undocumented woman can find herself facing an unplanned pregnancy at any time in her life. While she has the same options as any other woman facing an unplanned pregnancy, her unauthorized status can make things a bit more complicated.

However, know that a lack of U.S. citizenship will never impact your ability to place a child for adoption with our agency. “Giving a child up” for adoption without U.S. citizenship is a safe and secure process. Every aspect of your adoption and your adoption paperwork is always confidential; your information will never be released to immigration or government authorities without your consent. There will be no public record of your adoption process.

Whether you are undocumented or have a visa to live in the United States, your child born in the United States can be placed for adoption with an American family. Your citizenship status will not affect the number of families willing to adopt your child, and you will have just as much right to a post-adoption contact relationship with them and your child through open adoption as any documented immigrant or American citizen.

While your adoption specialist will ask for your citizenship status as part of your social and medical history, that information will never be released outside of our agency — and it will never disqualify you from the adoption process.

Why Adoption May Be Right for You

Placing your child for adoption is not “giving away” your baby. Instead, it’s choosing to give your child a life with loving adoptive parents who are fully prepared to support him or her — something you may not be able to provide yourself. They will grow up with a positive appreciation for you as their birth mother, and their parents will celebrate their adoption history in a positive and welcoming way.

But, adoption can also offer benefits to you as a prospective birth mother, as well. In addition to open adoption communication, free counseling and support services, and case management throughout your adoption, there are few advantages specific to putting a child up for adoption without U.S. citizenship.

At American Adoptions, we can always provide a translator to assist you through your adoption process, if necessary. American adopciones ofrece servicios de traducción si los necesitas. Llame 1-800-ADOPTION ahora para hablar con un especialista en adopción en inglés o solicitar un traductor de español a inglés.

In addition to free translation services, our adoption agency also offers financial assistance for your pregnancy- and adoption-related expenses. If you are an undocumented immigrant, you cannot apply for federal Medicaid assistance before your delivery — but that doesn’t mean that prenatal care and other medical care will cost you money if you choose adoption.

When you work with American Adoptions, we will cover the cost of your medical services; you will never have to pay out-of-pocket. If you are concerned about the costs of your unplanned pregnancy, adoption may be a good option for you and your unborn baby. Again, all of your medical paperwork regarding your hospital stay will be confidential and sealed, protecting your identity as an undocumented immigrant.

“I can honestly say I have no regrets dealing with this whole process. I encourage any young woman to not look over adoption as an option because it might just be the best decision you’ve ever made. I had such a great experience working with American Adoptions. I absolutely love that they are always there and willing to help anytime if you need it. As for the family I chose, I love and cherish them very much. I am glad to say that I made them ‘whole,’” said Tonya, a birth mother who chose adoption for her baby.

When your child is born within the United States, they will be an automatic U.S. citizen with a birth certificate and a social security number. If you choose to place them for adoption with American citizens, you may provide your child with security that you could not currently offer yourself.

As an undocumented immigrant, you may be subject to deportation if you do not legalize your immigration. If you place your child for adoption, they will always have a safe home and parents to take care of them — which would not be the case if you were ever deported without your child.

Sometimes, women looking for people that want to adopt undocumented kids ask if adoption is an option with our agency. Unfortunately, like many American adoption agencies, our professionals can only complete adoptions of children born within the United States.

If your baby has not yet been born or was born in the United States, we can assist you with your adoption.

Begin Your Adoption Process Today

Yes, you can give a child up for adoption, even if you are an immigrant living in the United States without documentation — and it can be a safe and private process in the best interest of you both.

To learn more about “giving a child up” for adoption without U.S. citizenship with American Adoptions, or to just get free unplanned pregnancy counseling, please contact our adoption specialists today at 1-800-ADOPTION. We are honored to work with women in all kinds of unplanned pregnancy situations, and your citizenship status will have no bearing on our ability and willingness to work with you.

Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. American Adoptions provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.

Request Free Information

View Waiting Families
Want to speak to someone who has chosen adoption?
Meet Michelle — A Proud Birth Mom
Ask an Adoption Question
View More Waiting Familes
Frequently Asked Questions

Why is American Adoptions the right adoption agency choice for many birth mothers?

American Adoptions is one of the largest licensed adoption agencies in the United States. Each year, we work with thousands of women who are facing an unplanned pregnancy and offer assistance to these women. Our large, caring staff is able to assist you seven days a week and provide you with one-on-one counseling about your pregnancy and available options.

You should choose an adoption agency where you feel completely comfortable with their services and staff. With American Adoptions, you will work with an Adoption Specialist who is on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Adoption Specialist will be your advocate and will provide support and guidance as you create an adoption plan that is right for you.

How will the family tell my child about me and the adoption when my child is older?

Each family has their own style of introducing adoption to the child. When you are matched with an adoptive family, you can ask them this question. If you would like your Adoption Specialist to discuss it for you, just let her know. He or she can share your wishes or provide good ideas from other adoptive families.

You will also be able to share what you want your baby to know about you. You can complete a keepsake booklet to share hobbies, stories, photos of you and your family and a letter to your baby. The adoptive family can provide this to your child as he or she grows older. Be as creative as you like! Some birth mothers have even knitted a special blanket as a gift to their baby or given a similar symbol of their love.

The father of your baby can fill out the birth father's keepsake booklet or write a letter too. You may have other family members who would also like to share photos or a letter to the baby. This is your opportunity to pass on your and your family's love and to share your personality, history and reasons for choosing adoption. The adoptive family will treasure whatever information you provide and will share it with the baby at an appropriate age. In most adoptive homes, the word adoption is in the child's vocabulary early on, and adoption is celebrated in their lives.

Additional Resources

Teen Pregnancy - Information for Young Women

While not every woman who chooses adoption is a young mother, many are. Through adoption, many young women have found an ability to give their babies the best life possible, while finding the opportunity to realize their own dreams, as well. Call American Adoptions today at 1-800-ADOPTION.

Read More

Adoption Glossary

Do adoption terms and phrases leave you feeling confused? Learn the meaning to key adoption words and phrases with our comprehensive adoption glossary.

Read More