How Fast Can I Place My Child for Adoption?
Last-Minute and Same-Day Adoptions
Because there are so many emotions involved with an unplanned pregnancy, you may not decide adoption is the best decision until late in your pregnancy or even after your baby is born.
This can leave you wondering, "Is it too late to give my baby for adoption?”
The answer is no, it’s not too late. No matter what ultimately helped you decide that adoption is the best choice for your baby, last-minute adoption is possible. In fact, deciding to give your baby up for adoption “last minute” could end up being one of the best decisions you ever make.
We understand that life probably feels crazy right now, and there’s no doubt it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. The good news is that American Adoptions can help you, and there are hopeful parents who have been dreaming of an opportunity to adopt your baby. You can get the services you need now by calling 1-800-ADOPTION or requesting free information.
Until then, here’s the information you need on how to put a child up for adoption today.
Just Gave Birth: Who to Contact About Adoption?
You may be wondering if it is too late for adoption now that you have given birth. Because there is no maximum age to give a child up for adoption, you shouldn’t be deterred.
If you just gave birth and have decided adoption is the best for you and your baby, you're maybe asking, “How fast can I give my child up for adoption?” First things first, you will need to speak with an adoption professional as soon as possible. You can call 1-800-ADOPTION anytime, 24/7, to speak with an adoption counselor about a last-minute adoption.
At American Adoptions, our adoption professionals will help you understand all the facts about deciding to “give your baby up” for adoption at the last minute. We speak with many women each year who are considering same-day adoptions, so you’re not alone.
When you speak with an adoption specialist, they will help you decide if you’re a last-minute adoption is the best choice for you and your baby. When it comes to such a moment, it’s important to be completely sure that adoption is right for you.
Choosing adoption is brave and selfless. When you place your baby for adoption, you are putting his or her needs above your own and giving a life-changing opportunity to a family who so desperately wants to raise a child. It is one of the most heroic decisions a mother can make. Our President of the American Adoptions board is an adoptee himself and explains the impact adoption had on his adoptive parents.
“My parents adopted me when I was 10 days old. Before I was adopted my mom had six miscarriages in seven years.” Scott said. “My parents adopted me because they did not want to miss out on the joy only a child can provide. Every day I realize how important I am to my parents. The fact that I was adopted doesn’t matter. It is simply another way to become a parent.” You can watch the video where Scott discusses what adoption meant to him and his family here.
When you choose adoption:
- You get to pick the perfect adoptive parents, who will provide your baby with a lifetime of love and opportunity
- Your child will grow up knowing about you and the selfless decision you made to give them an amazing life
- You can continue working toward your own goals while knowing you made a family's dreams come true"
If you’ve reached the conclusion that a last-minute adoption is the right thing to do, we’re here to help. We want to support you in whatever decision you make. This is your life, and you have the right to do what is best for you.
Adoption Agencies That Accept Infants After Birth
American Adoptions is a full-service, fully-licensed national adoption agency, and we are well-equipped to help with last-minute hospital adoptions, whether you are nearing your due date, have already given birth or have returned home with your baby. Our adoption specialists are ready to work with you to find a fast placement for your baby with just the right family. Deciding to put your baby up for adoption at the last minute is not something you have to go through alone.
What to Expect in a Same-Day Adoption
As with any adoption plan, you are in charge of this process. As the mother, you deserve immense respect for making this difficult decision. American Adoptions will always protect your best interests and help you make the best choices in your adoption plan.
The adoption process for same-day adoptions will look a bit different from other adoptions. It will, obviously, be completed more quickly than other infant adoptions. However, there are still some similarities in the process that you should expect as the prospective birth mother.
- Step 1: You’ll contact American Adoptions at 1-800-ADOPTION to start the adoption process. Just like any other adoption, you will work with an adoption specialist at American Adoptions to create an adoption plan. They’ll help you fill out your social and medical history forms and determine your preferences for an adoptive family.
- Step 2: The professionals will send you some profiles of families to choose from that match your preferences. Because American Adoptions works with hundreds of adoptive families from all over the country, you will have a greater chance of finding the perfect adoptive parents who match the vision you have for your child. All of American Adoptions‘ families are ready to travel to you at a moment‘s notice, no matter where they live, so you will be presented with several adoptive family profiles to choose from.
- Step 3: Because American Adoptions is a national adoption agency, we work with families across the country who are eager to fulfill their dream of becoming parents through adoption When you choose a family, they will be notified and travel to you as quickly as possible. Depending on what you decide in your adoption plan, you may meet the family in person, or you may not. Once they arrive, you can spend time getting to know them better and interacting with them and your baby, if you’d like.
- Step 4: Your adoption specialist will ask you about your wishes for post-placement contact before choosing a family, but this is a good time to confirm that you and the adoptive parents are on the same page about your hopes for your post-adoption relationship.
- Step 5: With the assistance of a social worker and a lawyer, you can complete the adoption paperwork when you are ready, and the adoptive family will take custody of your baby.
The last-minute adoption process is likely to feel like a whirlwind, and it may bring up a lot of emotions that can be difficult to handle. American Adoptions provides 24/7 counseling and support, so there will always be a professional you can talk to.
There is also the potential for adoption financial assistance which can cover additional counseling with a local professional as you move forward after your adoption. Keep in mind, when you choose adoption, you are also entitled to free medical expenses and legal expenses.
This gives you access to the best medical resources and an adoption attorney who will make sure you feel 100% comfortable with the adoption paperwork you complete, without adding the financial burden of finding these professionals on your own.
Placing Your Child for Adoption: Your Next Steps
You never have to make the difficult decision of adoption by yourself. Regardless of your circumstances, our team can help with your last-minute adoption.
If you’re reading this and you know that adoption is the right choice for your baby, it’s important to call 1-800-ADOPTION to start the adoption process.
They will walk you through the steps of how to put a child up for adoption today and begin their search for the best adoptive families for your baby. Our adoption specialists are ready to help you with your last-minute adoption and make sure you are empowered to do what is best for you and your baby.
Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. America Adoptions, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.