Adoption can help you take back control of your life when faced with an unplanned pregnancy. And when you find the right adoptive family, you’ll know that your child will be loved and supported their whole life.
Here’s How the Process of Putting a Baby Up for Adoption Works:
Step 1: Connect with Your Dedicated Adoption Specialist
Adoption specialists at American Adoptions give you one-on-one support and help you with the following:
- 24/7 personal assistance so that you never feel alone in your journey.
- Creating an adoption plan customized to fit your needs and gives you complete control over your adoption.
- Choosing from the widest selection of pre-screened families in the U.S. to ensure you find the best family for your child.
- Completion of a simplified process from start to finish.
- Deciding future plans for your contact with the adoptive family and your child.
We provide you with complete care throughout the adoption process, allowing you to focus on a happy and healthy pregnancy. Compare that with most other agencies that only provide pregnant women with support and resources for certain aspects of the adoption process.
In fact, many professionals, such as consultants and adoption centers, are “match and release” agencies. This means they might specialize in finding a potential family, but they do not provide the necessary services to complete the adoption process in its entirety.
Step 2: Create a Custom Adoption Plan
Your adoption specialist acts as your personal assistant, helping you create a customized adoption plan that is the blueprint for your entire experience.
We will handle all of the adoption process details while you focus on building a relationship with the family if you so choose.
Your customized plan includes:
- Help with rent and bills.
- Your preferences for the ideal family for your child.
- Contact with the family before the baby is born.
- The legal process of the adoption.
- Contact and the relationship with the adoptive family and baby after the adoption is completed.
Step 3: Choose the Right Family for Your Child
Part of choosing a brighter future through adoption is finding a family that fits your vision of the ideal situation for your child.
We work with the widest selection of families waiting to adopt, and our screening process means you get to choose from the best families in the country.
When choosing a family, you can expect to:
- Pick from families that have completed a 52-step screening process to ensure they will be great parents.
- Find a family that matches your preferences and is eager to get to know you.
- Watch videos and see pictures of the family to decide if that is the desired life for your child.
Step 4: Get to Know the Adoptive Family
Now that you’ve found the best family for your child, you can move forward and focus on getting to know them. You can choose which type of contact is best for you. This can include the use of:
- Voice and video calls.
- In-person visits.
It’s up to you to decide how much contact you have and the best contact type.
Getting to know the family offers many benefits and helps build a foundation for open communication after the adoption is complete, allowing you to remain connected to your child.
Step 5: Plan for Birth and Life After Placement
Your customized adoption plan includes creating a hospital plan for you and your baby. It’s important to know the adoptive family comes to you and will follow your hospital plan as it’s laid out.
Being in complete control of what happens at the hospital means you get to:
- Decide how much contact you have with the family to celebrate this moment together.
- Choose how much time you spend with your child and feel comfort in knowing they are going to a loving family.
Your adoption specialist will also help you prepare for the remaining legal process and completion of your adoption paperwork.
The personal assistance you get from your specialist will also include preparing for life ahead.
Life after adoption is full of possibilities. Many birth mothers have gone on to pursue educational goals and accomplish great things in their careers. They dream about a brighter future, and adoption helped turn those dreams into a reality.
Because of adoption, you can focus on what’s ahead. An adoptive couple will complete their family. And your child will always be loved.
Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. American Adoptions provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.