How The Adoption Process Works
The adoption process is beautiful because it brings people together to give a baby a life filled with love and opportunity.
From deciding if adoption is right for you, to choosing your agency and finding a match, we've broken the adoption process down into 6 steps. Here's how to place a baby for adoption, and here's how to adopt a baby.
3 Reasons People Choose American Adoptions
1. More Adoption Opportunities
We work with all types of waiting families across the country, giving you hundreds of hopeful parents to choose from. Why is this important for you? It gives you a better chance of finding your perfect match.
- You want to find the perfect family for your baby. With a decision this important, would you not rather have 300 choices than 30?
- With so many diverse families, you'll find the right one for you, no matter what you're looking for. Pick where they live, what their family makeup is, their religious beliefs and more.
- More prospective birth parents choose American Adoptions than other agencies, too. This means more adoption opportunities and lower wait times for our families - a win-win for everyone.
2. Better Adoption Matches
Your child deserves the best life you can imagine. That's why we work with the best adoptive families in the country, using advanced screening and matching methods to help you find the right one for your baby.
- Unlike on other matching sites, our families have all been thoroughly screened and home-study-approved. That means you can feel confident that any family you fall in love with is going to provide your baby with a safe, loving, prepared home.
- We know from our own experiences as adoptive parents, birth parents and adoptees what it takes to be a great adoptive family. We hold our families to the standards we'd want for our own children - because your baby deserves the best.
- Our one-of-a-kind matching algorithm collects more data on adoptive families, assessing every aspect of their life and finding possible matches based on your needs and wishes. The result? A better match for you - and the best possible life for your child.
3. The Best Adoption Experience
Our staff includes people who have personally been through the adoption process. We've been where you are - which means we provide better support to make this process as easy as possible for you.
- We know firsthand what you need from your adoption agency. Our support isn't cold and detached. It's real, personal and helpful because, at some point, we needed the same support in our own lives.
- You can feel confident, hopeful and encouraged instead of unsure, anxious and fearful. Adoption may not be easy. But with our support, it will always be worth it.
- You can call 1-800-ADOPTION at any time, 24/7, to get free support and information. You'll be connected with an adoption professional who wants to help.
- Step 1: Decide if adoption is right for you
- Step 2: Make your adoption plan
- Step 3: Find adoptive parents...
- "Adoption means becoming whole."
- "My birth mother is AMAZING."
- "Because of adoption, I am different and special!"
About Us: American Adoptions
With involvement in more than 300 domestic adoptions each year, American Adoptions is currently one of the largest domestic adoption agencies of its kind in the United States.Read the Story
The Best for Her Babies - Why One Birth Mother Doesn't Regret Her Decision
Lindsey was already the mother to one baby with special needs when she found herself pregnant again. A single mom in the midst of a divorce, she knew adoption was the way to give both her daughters what they deserved.Read the Story
Ted Mars' Adoption Story
Ted Mars, father of American Adoptions' founder Scott Mars, shares how adoption changed his world in ways he could have never imagined.Read the Story
A Life of Love and Opportunity
When Scott Mars, the cofounder of American Adoptions, was adopted by his parents, it sparked a lifelong mission to bring other families together through adoption. “Because of adoption, my life was filled with love and opportunity," he says.Read the Story