How to Find Non-Religious Adoptive Families [The Perfect Family is Waiting]
Unlike many adoptions agencies, American Adoptions is not religiously affiliated. As a large, secular agency, we work with families of various religious backgrounds as well as non-religious adoptive families. If finding an adoptive family with no religious affiliation is important to you, we can help! View profiles of non-religious adoptive families here, or contact us to get more information now.
Finding the right adoptive family for you and your child is one of the most exciting aspects of your adoption journey. You’ve likely begun creating a mental picture of what you envision in an adoptive family. Their interests, location, hobbies and religious beliefs are just a handful of the many attributes that play a role in which family you ultimately choose.
As a prospective birth mother without any religious affiliation, you might prioritize an adoptive family that also refrains from associating with a religion. When presenting you with adoptive family profiles, your desire to work with a non-religious family will be a focal point for our staff in helping you choose the right family for you and your child.
The following information will explain how your specific wants and needs for an adoptive family help dictate the profiles you view, as well as provide you with questions to ask when meeting your family for the first time to get to know them better.
If you’re ready to start the adoption process with our agency or wanting more information on finding non-religious families ready to adopt, call us at 1-800-ADOPTION, or visit our online contact forms for prospective birth mothers and prospective adoptive parents.
Can I Find Non-Religious Adoptive Families for My Child?
Unequivocally yes, you can place your child for adoption with a non-religious family through American Adoptions. When creating your adoption plan, we compile your needs, requirements, specific personality traits such as interests, hobbies and more to narrow the search for adoptive families that match those specific details.
Early in your adoption journey, you will begin looking through adoptive family profiles to find the couple that not only matches your vision of the perfect family for your child but feels right and speaks to you.
Once you’ve officially matched, your adoption professional will help you arrange a meeting either by phone, video chat, email exchange or, in person. The initial meeting between you and the adoptive family is the chance to begin building a life-long relationship together.
For more information on creating an adoption plan and how you can begin viewing profiles for non-religious adoptive families, call us at 1-800-ADOPTION or visit us online to complete our contact form.
Questions to Ask Prospective Religious-Free Adoptive Families
While your adoption specialist will be there to help you through every step of the way, getting to know a prospective adoptive family can be intimidating. It may be difficult to bring up religious beliefs in early conversations with a new person, but if it’s important to you that your child be placed with religious-free adoptive families, it may be helpful to prepare a list of questions like the following:
- What appeals to you about this belief system? Were you raised in a religious family?
- Do you interact with others that share this belief? Of course, you aren’t attending church, but is there a community of like-minded individuals that you interact with?
- Why is this belief system important to you?
- What is your religious background like?
- Are you tolerant of those who practice various religions?
- How do you plan to teach your children about religion as they grow up?
Once you’ve decided to look only at religious-free adoption families, your adoption specialist will have you consider a few additional questions:
- Does it matter to you where your child grows up? As a national adoption agency, American Adoptions works with families across the entire country. This means that whether you picture your child growing up in a warm climate, an urban area, or a farm in the Midwest, that can all be accommodated.
- Do you have strong feelings about your child having siblings? Some women prefer to place their babies with families who have struggled with infertility and who don’t yet have children of their own. Others have fond memories of growing up with siblings and want to make sure their babies have the same experience, so they place with families who already have one or more children.
- What values are important to you in potential adoptive parents? Religious affiliations aside, do you want your child’s parents to have certain political views? What about work ethic or education or other things that might be important to you?
Common Reasons for Adopting with Non-Religious Families
For many women, religious beliefs play a large role in choosing adoption in the first place — but that doesn’t mean everyone shares those beliefs. If you are atheist, agnostic, or just not attached to any particular religious belief system, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Understandably, you might want the adoptive family you choose for your child to mirror that philosophy.
Some reasons that women ultimately choose to place their baby with religious-free adoption families include:
- The woman herself is an atheist or uncomfortable with the idea of her child being raised practicing any certain organized religion.
- The woman wants her child to have the freedom to choose if religion is right for him or her in the first place, and then to have the freedom to explore different options.
- The woman wants her child’s adoptive family to place other values above religion, such as politics or science.
Whatever reasons you have for being interested specifically in religious-free adoptive families, American Adoptions can make sure that desire is accommodated. Our website has a tool that allows you to search through families who are currently active with us, but please keep in mind that we are always working with families in various stages of the adoption process, so not all of our agnostic/atheist adoptive families are currently listed online.
Do You Want More Information on Finding a Non-Religious Adoptive Family?
If you have any additional questions, contact Michelle, a birth parent specialist and a birth parent herself, who is ready to answer any questions you have about atheist/agnostic adoptive families ready to adopt your child.
“I am available to answer any questions that arise, particularly from birth moms, as I have been in your shoes and know how you are feeling,” Michelle said.
You can ask Michelle questions about the adoption process online. American Adoptions can help to find your ideal adoptive parents, no matter who they may be. For more information about finding non-religious adoptive families, please call American Adoptions at 1-800-ADOPTION, or request free information here. Adoptive families wanting more information on adopting a child can click here to get more information.
Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. America Adoptions, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.