Complete Your Adoption Home Study in Arkansas With Us Today
Your Arkansas Adoption Home Study Checklist
If you’re considering adopting a child in Arkansas, there are a few things you need to do first. One of them is complete your adoption home study.
A home study for adoption in Arkansas is an important part of your pre-approval process. While it can seem overwhelming at the start, know that the team at American Adoption is always here to answer your questions and give you the support you need. As a licensed Arkansas home study provider, we can help you complete this step — and offer other helpful services, as well.
103 S. 3rd Street
Rogers, AR 72756
In the meantime, we’ve provided some basic information about the Arkansas home study for adoption below to help you get started.
What does an Arkansas home study consist of?
A home study is, more or less, a review of a hopeful adoptive family’s lifestyle, which determines their suitability for the adoption process. This investigation is performed by a licensed social worker, who evaluates the family’s fitness to adopt, educates them and gathers information to help better match the parents with an adopted child.
An Arkansas adoption home study includes three aspects:
- An in-home visit with all members of the prospective adoptive family
- An inspection of a prospective adoptive family’s home
- A collection and review of important documents
For many adoptive families, the home study can be intimidating. It may feel that someone is coming into your home and judging you, especially with something you want so badly hanging in the balance. It’s important to remember, however, that the social worker who completes your home study is only there to help. They are just another of the adoption professionals that will help you on the road to becoming adoptive parents!
Who can perform an adoption home study in Arkansas?
As a national adoption agency, American Adoptions is licensed to provide adoption home studies for adoptive families in the state of Arkansas. This way, families who work with us to find an adoption opportunity can seamlessly complete this step with our agency team.
We can help you start to ready the items on your adoption home study checklist as soon as you start working with us!
What documents do we need for our Arkansas adoption home study?
Once you’ve chosen an Arkansas adoption home study professional to work with, you’ll want to begin gathering everything required for the documentation phase. This is the part that often takes the longest of the entire home study, so readying all the documentation your home study provider needs in a timely manner is critical.
If you’re thinking about adopting, you should begin rounding up the following for your Arkansas home study:
- Health Statements: Make sure everyone in your family has up-to-date physical exams and gather the records. You should also expect to provide information about yourselves, such as height, weight, smoking status, and more. If mental health has ever been a struggle for either you or your spouse, you will most likely need a statement from your physician, psychologist or therapist stating that you’re healthy enough to be a parent.
- Background Checks: Each member in your family must undergo Arkansas criminal background checks. Arkansas law also requires a federal background check, as well as a check of child abuse and neglect registries in other states you lived in during the previous five years.
- Financial Information: To prove that you are financially capable of adding a member to your family, be prepared to provide payment stubs, income statements and/or tax returns. You don’t have to be wealthy, but you will need to be able to provide your child with everything he or she needs.
- Autobiographical Statements: Both you and your partner will write stories about your lives, including your childhoods, any struggles with infertility, and other important events. This will prepare the social worker for your in-home visit and help them get to know you better.
How to Complete an Adoption Home Study in Arkansas
An adoption home study may seem stressful, but it can actually be broken down into a few simple steps:
Step 1: Contact a home study provider and request a home study application.
Step 2: Complete your background checks.
Step 3: Meet the adoption home study social worker who will work with you to complete the process.
Step 4: Gather and turn in all necessary home study documents.
Step 5: Receive the social worker into your home for your in-home visit and inspection.
Step 6: Receive a review of the home study and proofread to make sure all information is correct.
Step 7: Confirm all information and notarize the home study document.
And that’s it! Just seven simple steps and you’re ready to continue on in your journey to adoption. Keep in mind that any significant life changes will require an update to your Arkansas adoption home study, and you will receive post-placement visits from your home study social worker after adoption.
Wherever you’re at in your pre-adoption journey, remember that our specialists are always here to answer your questions and give you the information you need. To learn more about our adoption programs or completing an adoption home study in Arkansas, call 1-800-ADOPTION or request free information online.
Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. America Adoptions, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.