close menu

International Adoption in Nevada

Before you continue, to get more information on international adoption and domestic infant adoption in Nevada, we encourage you to contact us online or call 1-800-ADOPTION.

So, what can you expect if you are interested in an international adoption while you live in Nevada? 

Each foreign adoption will be a different experience from the next. However, you can expect the process of adopting a child from another country to go something like this:

Step 1: Choose a country.

Different agencies work to complete international adoptions in different countries, so it’s important that you know what you’re interested in in terms of countries to adopt from before choosing an adoption professional. To make this decision, it’s helpful to consider certain factors, like how old you want your child to be or if you have a gender preference. Eligibility requirements may vary in addition to costs, depending on where you choose to adopt.

Step 2: Choose an international adoption agency in Nevada.

When you know where you’d like to adopt from, you can begin researching professionals who help to facilitate adoptions in that country. Anyone you consider should be Hague-accredited, which means they’re compliant with the International Adoption Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. Your adoption professional will also help to complete your adoption home study, as well as guide you through the rest of the steps for completing an intercountry adoption in Nevada.

Step 3: Apply for adoption eligibility.

To adopt overseas, you must apply for approval with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. If the country you wish to adopt from is a member of the Hague Convention, you’ll fill out Form I-800A. If your country is a non-Hague country, you’ll fill out Form I-600A.

Step 4: Wait for an adoption match.

You must be determined eligible to adopt by both the United States and the country you’re adopting from before you’ll receive an adoption opportunity. Depending on the country you adopt from, you may receive a referral before you travel to adopt or match with a child when you travel to their country.

Step 5: Apply for your child’s adoption eligibility.

When you have matched with a child, you’ll have to apply for his or her immigration eligibility to the United States. You’ll either file Form I-800 or Form I-600 , depending on which form you previously filed for yourself. Upon approval of the first form for your child, you’ll fill out the DS-260 to apply for his or her visa.

Step 6: Receive your child’s immigrant visa.

This will come in the form of either:

  • The IH-3 (Hague) or IR-3 (non-Hague) visa if both adoptive parents were present to complete the child’s adoption.

  • The IH-4 or IR-4 visa if the adoption was not completed in the child’s home country or if only one of the child’s adoptive parents were present for the adoption proceedings.

When is re-adoption necessary?

If your child received an IH-4 or IR-4 visa, you’ll be required to finalize his or her adoption in the United States. However, no matter which visa you received, it’s recommended that you re-adopt, or finalize your child’s adoption in the United States. This can help to make sure your child gets the same legal rights as any other U.S. citizen.

Nevada International Adoption Agencies

Because American Adoptions works with families to complete private domestic adoptions, we aren’t qualified to help you adopt internationally. However, Nevada families have other options in this department:

Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. American Adoptions provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.

Request Free Information