What is a Safe Haven 'Baby Box'? [4 Questions You Have]
Because an unplanned pregnancy can completely change your life, you may be left wondering who can help or where to turn?
If you are a woman struggling with parenting after giving birth, you likely have many concerns and are wondering what options are available for your baby. You want what is best for your child, but may not feel like you are able to provide that for them. You may be desperate for help, and feel that leaving your baby at a safe haven baby box is the best option.
American Adoptions is here to help answer those questions and help you determine what may be best for your specific situation. Before making any decisions, we strongly encourage you to read this guide and contact us.
Here, we will not only provide information on safe haven baby boxes but also explore the opportunity and benefits of private adoption. Please keep in mind that you can call 1-800-ADOPTION at any time to speak with a trained professional. You can also get more information by clicking here. Until then, continue reading this guide to learn more.
What is a ‘Safe Haven Baby Box’?
You may have heard about safe haven baby boxes, but remain confused on what exactly they are. Basically, it is a device that a woman can use to legally, safely, and anonymously surrender her child. They can be found in many places around the world, including the U.S.
A safe haven baby box is a device installed into a building (think of a church, a fire station, a hospital, etc.) The door of a baby box opens onto a soft, lined bed that is heated or insulated. Once a baby is placed inside the box, a silent alarm will go off, alerting emergency services of the newborn so they can safely retrieve them.
The invention of a baby dropbox has been around for a while, but, over the last few years, you might have seen baby drop boxes making their way into the news again. Many people consider them to be an incredible invention and an important step towards ending child abandonment.
Safe Haven Baby Box or Adoption: Which is Best for You?
Every pregnancy and childbirth is unique. The circumstances that have led up to you considering a safe haven baby drop-off are emotional and private, and we completely understand. If you’re thinking of using a safe haven baby drawer because you feel like you don’t have any other choice, we want to reassure you that this isn’t the case.
No matter if your child has been born a few hours, days, months, or years, adoption is always an option.
For many birth mothers, adoption was not just an option they chose, it was the best decision they could have made for both their baby and themselves. Take it from Erika, a birth mother who chose American Adoptions to help her with the adoption of her baby.
“Even though adoption was the hardest decision I will ever make in my life, American Adoptions also made it the best decision I’ve ever made in my life,” she said about her adoption.
Here, you can read her story and get the point of view of someone who was once in a similar situation as yours. You can also find other birth mother testimonials and even have the option to ask one of our professionals, who happens to be a birth mother, questions about her experience.
When you choose adoption, you go from feeling like you are losing control of your situation and how to handle being a parent, to being in complete control of the desired outcome and decisions made throughout the process. From the moment you decide to pursue an adoption, you are in charge of determining the details of your adoption plan. When you do decide to make an adoption plan for your baby, then you’ll be able to choose details like:
- Finding the perfect adoptive family
- How much contact with the family and your child you’re open to during and after the adoption
- How placement of your baby will take place
- And much more
In addition, when you choose adoption with American Adoptions, you’ll also receive services such as:
- 24/7 counseling and support services: No matter if you have questions, or just need to talk to someone, adoptive professionals are ready to answer your call, 24/7. With such an emotional decision as adoption, counseling services are available pre- and post-placement, to make sure you are getting the help you may need.
- Financial assistance: Although adoption is always free for birth mothers, other living expenses and medical bills may be eligible for financial assistance as well. Your assistance will vary depending upon where you live and your specific situation, but your adoption professional will be able to explain this process and get you the aid you are entitled to.
- Legal Representation: Working with a trusted adoption attorney ensures all steps are being completed legally and ethically. When you choose American Adoptions, we provide you with the legal representation you need to feel comfortable and confident.
- Privacy: This is an emotional and personal decision. It’s up to you who you want to know. Your rights as a prospective birth mother will always be respected, and you don’t need to worry about anyone finding out that you’ve made an adoption plan.
- Countless other benefits
While using a baby surrender box can be done legally, safely, and anonymously, making an adoption plan with American Adoptions can also offer all of those things and might give you better peace of mind.
We know that some women are unsure about adoption because they’re worried about getting in trouble because of their personal situation. For example, they might have a history of substance abuse or mental illness. They could also be scared because they’re living in the United States without documentation. If you fit into any of these categories, we want to reassure you that you have nothing to worry about.
If you would like to learn more about the benefits of choosing adoption over a safe haven baby box, call 1-800-ADOPTION to speak with an adoption professional today.
Why Do Women Consider Using Safe Haven Baby Boxes?
It might seem strange to use a baby box instead of making an adoption plan, but there are several reasons why you might consider the option first. For instance, you might be:
- Unfamiliar with the adoption process
- Looking for an “easy” way to move on with her life
- Afraid of what your family and friends will say if they find out about the baby or an adoption plan
- Looking for a way to remain completely anonymous
- Afraid you will get in “trouble” for something (substance use, citizenship, etc.) if she works with an adoption agency
No matter what your reason is, safe baby haven drawers can help a woman in need and save her from having to abandon her baby. But, American Adoptions is here to help, too.
Where Can I Find a Safe Haven Baby Box Near Me?
Although every state has safe-haven laws, not every state has baby boxes for abandoned newborns at this point. The three states that currently have abandoned baby drop boxes are Indiana, Arkansas, and Ohio.
There are many reasons to consider a baby box. But, we don’t want you to feel like it’s your only option. If you don’t live in a state that has a safe haven baby drop off, then we encourage you to talk to talk to an adoption professional. They can help you work through your options so that you can make a safe plan for your baby.
Placing a baby for adoption will always be a heroic, selfless act. It’s not “giving up” but giving your child the gift of an incredible future. And while there is nothing wrong with using a baby surrender box, we don’t want you to feel like that’s your only option or that help isn’t available.
If you have any other questions about baby boxes for abandoned newborns or want to further discuss the availability of adoption for your situation, we’d be happy to help. Please call 1-800-ADOPTION to speak with an adoption specialist today or fill out our free information form to get more information.
Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. America Adoptions, Inc. provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.