close menu

What to Know About Birth Father Rights in Kansas

Married, Single, or Complicated Relationship Situations: Adoption is Still an Option

Finding out you’re pregnant can be overwhelming, and the anxiety and confusion that comes from the relationship with the father of the baby can lead to questions such as:

  • “Can I give my baby up for adoption without the father’s consent to adoption in Kansas?”

  •  “Is adoption when the father is unknown an option for me?”

  • “In Kansas, does the birth father have to agree to adoption?”

These are questions the specialists at American Adoptions hear all the time. The truth is, birth father rights in adoption are complicated, and there’s often not a straightforward answer to any of these questions. Instead, it will all depend on your specific situation.

Here, learn more about birth father rights in Kansas and your ability to make an adoption plan with a supportive, unsupportive or uninvolved birth father.

If you’re ready to speak to an adoption professional about putting up your baby for adoption in Kansas, our agency is here to help. You can call us anytime and speak with an adoption professional at 1-800-ADOPTION, get free information online or view current waiting families for adoption.

Married, Single, or Complicated Relationship Situations: Adoption Is Still an Option [Adoption Provides Many Benefits Regardless of Your Circumstances]

Prospective birth mothers come from all different backgrounds and situations when they choose adoption in Kansas. Some birth mothers who’ve successfully placed their children with American Adoptions are happily married to or in a loving relationship with the father of the baby they placed; they simply felt unable to care for this child at the time for any number of reasons. Other birth moms are unsure of who the father of their baby is. Some birth mothers are single moms to older children, some of whom share the same father, and some of whom have separate fathers.

Some birth mothers are in a relationship with, or are on good terms with the birth father of their baby. Other birth mothers have a toxic relationship with the birth father, and this may be a reason why they’re making an adoption plan.

Here are a few testimonials of birth mothers with varying levels of a relationship with the father of their child, deciding to choose adoption using the services of American Adoptions.

Candace: I became pregnant at the worst possible time of my life. My husband and I were separated. He wanted me to have an abortion, and I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I talked with him about adoption and he agreed. With having three kids already, I know what I needed to do. They [the adoptive family] deserve a beautiful family, and I am so happy they trusted me to give them that.

Patricia: I was scared, being I was only 19 and on my second pregnancy. I sat for about two hours just thinking about what I should do. I talked to the father, and we both agreed on adoption. I called another adoption company first and then American Adoptions, and I instantly fell in love with my social worker. She was so caring, and I felt I could trust her with anything.

Heather: When I found out that I was pregnant with Luke in 2006, I knew I could not care for another child. I was alone, scared and very worried about what the future held for my unborn baby, my children and me. My husband and I had made some bad decisions that affected our whole family. He was incarcerated at the time of the adoption and I knew Luke was going to be better off with a different family. I contacted American Adoptions and they were kind, caring and showed me a great deal of understanding.

The important thing to understand is this: whether you have a good relationship with the father of your baby or not, you can still consider adoption for your baby, and we can help.

Is Adoption Without Parental Consent Possible in Kansas? [You May Not Need Consent]

Ideally, the father of your baby supports and respects you throughout your adoption journey. But sometimes, birth fathers are unsupportive, uninvolved, or unknown.

In short, adoption without parental consent in Kansas is sometimes possible in these situations, but it depends on your particular circumstances. Regardless of the kind of relationship you have with the birth father, the first step you should take is to call 1-800-ADOPTION now or request free information online.

You’ll be able to talk about your current situation with an adoption professional that will give you a better idea of your options and what you can do to move forward based on your situation with the baby’s father.

When you choose our agency as your Kansas adoption professional, you’ll speak with a specialist who truly understands what you are going through. Our staff is made up of birth parents, adoptees and adoptive parents. Not only are we experts in Kansas adoption law, but we also have the personal experiences with adoption that most people don’t.

We’ll be able to connect you with whatever KS resources you need, whether you choose adoption or decide that adoption isn’t the right option for you.

How to Talk to the Birth Father about Your Pregnancy and Adoption Plan [Your Adoption Professional Can Help]

In many cases, your adoption professionals may advise you to contact the possible father of your child before exploring the possibility of adoption without parental consent in Kansas. If you haven’t already talked to the birth father about your pregnancy and adoption plan, your adoption professional can help you determine whether you need to reach out to him directly, how he should be notified and what details he needs to be provided with for your adoption plan to proceed.

You may be nervous about reaching out to the father of your baby. Talking about an unplanned pregnancy and what to do next can be uncomfortable, especially if you don’t have an ongoing relationship with the father or aren’t sure how he will react. Your adoption specialist can always help you prepare for this conversation and provide the support you need.

In general, there are three ways to approach the father of your baby about your adoption plan and inform him of your pregnancy:

1. Talk to him in person or on the phone

In most cases, the best way to inform the birth father about your adoption plan is in person or via phone. Meet him in a calm, quiet and safe place. Stay calm and collected. Be prepared to answer his questions, address his concerns, and understand the emotions he’s processing.

If you’re comfortable, you can ask him to be involved in your adoption plan (including the selection of an adoptive family and/or post-adoption communication with an open adoption) or invite him to create his own birth father adoption plan.

2. Write a letter or email

Sometimes it’s not possible to inform the birth father of your pregnancy and adoption plan in person. Writing out your thoughts can give you time to carefully think through what you want to say, allow you to include educational resources about adoption, and prevent you from becoming too caught up in your own emotions.

It can help to have your adoption specialist or a trusted friend or family member who is supportive of your adoption plan read through your letter to make sure that you come across as kind, calm, and that you include all the necessary information.

3. Have your adoption specialist or attorney speak on your behalf

It’s not ideal, but sometimes it’s necessary to have a professional handle the conversation about your pregnancy and adoption plan with the birth father. If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to him yourself, or if you feel that the conversation would simply escalate into an argument, then this might be the best option for you.

There may be some specific situations in which you don’t have to inform the birth father about your pregnancy and adoption plan. If you think the birth father will disagree with your decision and you may need to pursue adoption without his consent or involvement, call 1-800-ADOPTION to speak to an adoption specialist to see if that option is legally available to you.

What Are the Rights of a Birth Father in Kansas? 

While the pregnant woman is the one carrying the child and making the majority of the decisions, the birth father can also play a vital role in the adoption process. Birth fathers have the opportunity to be supportive and encouraging, which can make the whole process much better for the prospective birth mother, adoptive family and child. Understanding birth father rights in adoption in KS is part of that process.

If a man is supportive of the prospective birth mother’s adoption plan and wants to be involved in the process, he can work with the child’s mother to create an adoption plan under the guidance of an adoption specialist.

If a man disagrees with the expectant mother’s decision, he will need to take specific action to legally contest the adoption. Typically, this process will require him to demonstrate his commitment to parenting the child, including providing for pregnancy and birth expenses; meeting the child’s physical, emotional and financial needs; and continuing to have a parent-child relationship throughout the child’s life. An adoption specialist can prepare you for what to expect if the birth father threatens to intervene in your adoption plan.

To speak to an American Adoptions specialist now about your current circumstances or to learn more about birth father rights in Kansas adoptions, call 1-800-ADOPTION for free information without any obligation to choose adoption, or get more free information online.

Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. American Adoptions provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.

Request Free Information
View More Waiting Familes
Want to speak to someone who has chosen adoption?
Meet Michelle — A Proud Birth Mom
Ask an Adoption Question