close menu

Birth Father Rights in South Dakota

How to Pursue Adoption with an Unsupportive, Uninvolved, or Supportive Birth Father

“I want to put my baby up for adoption in South Dakota, but the father doesn’t.”

“Is adoption in South Dakota possible without knowing who the father is?”

“Can I give my child up for adoption without the father’s consent in SD?”

All prospective birth mothers have a unique relationship with their baby’s birth father. There’s a lot to consider, especially if you are wondering if a child adoption with father’s consent in South Dakota is even possible. If you find yourself asking questions like the ones above, rest assured, there are many women that have been in your shoes.

Depending on your situation, the birth father may be:

  1. Unsupportive

  2. Uninvolved

  3. Supportive

Ideally, we hope that every birth father is supportive when you are considering adoption, but this isn’t always the case. You may want to raise your child in a two-parent household, but the birth father may be in and out of your life. Maybe you know that you want to pursue adoption, but the father doesn’t and won’t give his consent to the adoption. Regardless of your situation, American Adoptions is here to help.

As the rights of biological fathers in adoption in South Dakota can vary, please call 1-800-ADOPTION to receive free information. An adoption specialist will be able to listen to your situation and help find the resources you need for your adoption. Speaking with an adoption counselor doesn’t mean that you’re obligated to choose adoption, but it will give you a better idea of the birth father’s rights in your circumstances.

Remember, the contents of this article do not serve as legal advice. Because birth father adoption laws in South Dakota and across the country can be complex, it’s best to start speaking with an adoption specialist or a local adoption attorney in your area.

Can a Child be Put up for Adoption without Father’s Consent in South Dakota?

The first step you should always take if you think you may need to complete a South Dakota adoption without parental consent from the birth father is to call 1-800-ADOPTION, with no obligation to choose adoption.

Birth father laws can be tricky. By talking with an adoption specialist, you will be able to learn about the birth father rights for adoption in South Dakota and the best course of action for an adoption without consent, if necessary. If you decide that adoption is not right for you after receiving free information, that’s okay; you’re not obligated to choose adoption, and your adoption specialist will be able to connect you with the resources you need to choose the next best course of action.

In South Dakota, is Adoption Possible without Knowing who the Father is?

There are some cases where a woman is faced with an unexpected pregnancy, but she doesn’t know who the birth father is.  This is common in an adoption. Typically, your adoption specialist and adoption attorney will work with you to locate the birth father if you’re unsure of whom or where he is.

In short, adoption when the father is unknown or unsupportive is often possible in South Dakota, but you should speak with your adoption specialist first to make sure every effort has been made to locate the birth father. If you need information about pursuing a legal adoption without father’s consent in South Dakota, call 1-800-ADOPTION to speak with an adoption specialist.

What Should I do if I’m Married to the Birth Father?

Even women that are a in a loving and fulfilling relationship start thinking about adoption. This could be for a number of reasons. For example, she may already have children but feels that she is unable to continue to grow her family. Or she simply might not be ready to have a child at this time.

Being married doesn’t mean you have to become a parent, even if you have a supportive birth father. No matter your circumstances, adoption is still an option for you.

What Should I do if I Think I’m a Birth Father in South Dakota?

If you think that you might be the father of an unborn child, the first step will be to establish your rights. Some states, like South Dakota, will require that you complete an affidavit of paternity. Signing an affidavit of paternity will establish and allow:

  • Your parental rights and responsibilities

  • The child’s right to child support once you have established paternity

  • Your right to receive information on any adoption-related court proceedings

It’s not uncommon for a woman to try to pursue a South Dakota adoption when the father is unknown, unsupportive or uninvolved in her life. If you want to know more about establishing your paternity, the best course of action is to contact an adoption specialist at 1-800-ADOPTION or a local adoption attorney that will be able to explain the rights of biological fathers in adoption for South Dakota.

To speak with an adoption specialist about how to adopt a child without the father’s consent, or to learn more about birth father rights in adoption in South Dakota, please call 1-800-ADOPTION at any time. 

Information available through these links is the sole property of the companies and organizations listed therein. American Adoptions provides this information as a courtesy and is in no way responsible for its content or accuracy.

Request Free Information
View More Waiting Familes
Want to speak to someone who has chosen adoption?
Meet Michelle — A Proud Birth Mom
Ask an Adoption Question